Saturday, February 6, 2010

Dutch GT 2009 Report - Introduction and Game 1




A report of my first GT experience, for your reading pleasure!



My list:

HQ
- Librarian (Null Zone, Avenger)
Elites
-5 Assault Terminators (1xLightning Claws, 4xThunder Hammers & Storm Shields)
-10 Sternguard (5 Combi-Meltas, 4 Combi-Plasmas, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod w/Locator Beacon and Deathwind Missile Launcher)
Troops
-10 Tactical Marines (Power Weapon, Flamer, Missile Launcher, Rhino w/Dozer Blade)
-10 Tactical Marines (Power Weapon, Flamer, Missile Launcher, Rhino w/Dozer Blade)
Fast Attack
-Land Speeder (Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer)
-Land Speeder (Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer)
-Land Speeder (Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer)
Heavy Support
-Land Raider
-Vindicator (Dozer Blade)
1700 Points

The basic strategy is distracting the opponent with the Sternguard, preferably dropping them behind the enemy or on a flank and taking out a target of opportunity. Meanwhile the Land Raider and remaining tanks move in and target key units before contesting enemy objectives. The Speeders either deploy by deep strike or move up behind the wall of tanks. The army is not very flexible because of the Drop Pod assault rule meaning my Sternguard must deploy Turn 1 but I like the models and they’ve done pretty well for me.

Game 1 - Capture&Control, Spearhead
Versus Iron Warriors

-Lord & Sorceror with Terminator retinues
-Berzerkers and Plague Marines squads
-Obliterators
-Defiler
-Vindicator

My first game was versus a GT veteran with a beautiful, fully-converted Iron Warriors army.



I received second turn and he proceeded to destroy one of my Rhinos on his first turn. My Sternguard dropped down behind his objective and hosed the Defiler with melta shots, but only scored Stunned results which were ignored by its Daemonic Possesion! The plasma guns killed an Obliterator though. The return fire from his forces slew all the Sternguard as expected.



I lost my Vindicator to a lucky autocannon shot and the Land Raider was taken out by a combi-melta, the Assault Terminators bailed out and took on pretty much his entire army as the Librarian all but annihilated a Berzerker squad with the Avenger.



The Speeders didn’t do much (though one survived two successive rounds of combat from a charging Defiler despite being Immobilised, only getting Shaken and Stunned in the process!)
In the end I failed to reach his objective with one of my Rhino squads by mere inches, while mine was contested by half a Chaos Marine squad ganging up on one single Storm Dragon, who just wouldn’t die and prevented a Massacre!

Loss for me, 16-4, but a great game and I was itching for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment